Saturday, August 11, 2012

Getting my Namaste on...


I signed up for a yoga class when I was in community college and I ended up dropping out of it after the second time the class met. I absolutely hated it, it was too slow placed for me, I was frustrated about not being able to do a lot of the more advanced poses, and something about being in a place really quiet and being able to hear my own breathing and heart beat really freaks me out and gives me anxiety.

Yesterday JuJu asked me to go with her in the morning to free yoga on the beach. After explaining to her why I hate yoga and how I think it's the stupidest thing ever, she still somehow convinced me to go. So alas, this morning we got up earlyish and drove down to our little bay area. We were 15 minutes late because parking in that area is terrible but we quickly walked over and placed our yoga mats in the sand toward the back. The lady teaching the class has a very quiet, calm, and soothing voice so I was a big fan of her.

-Side note, I have a thing with voices... most people just have average voices that aren't anything special, a few people have really annoying voices that I really don't enjoy listening too, and some people have voices that just have a certain effect on me... where I could literally listen to them talking for hours about any given subject and I'd still enjoy it. It's not an attraction thing at all though. The yoga instructor had one of those special voices.

So this yoga class had a few pluses.
 + Instructor had a nice voice
 + It was outside and crowded so I didn't have to silently listen to my breathing and heart
 + I got to work on my tan at the same time
 + I felt really accomplished when it was over

But there were still some things I didn't like
 - I had the sun in my eyes and sunglasses kept falling off my face in different poses
 - I felt a little weird at first with all the onlookers
 - I had no sunscreen on and I might be a little sun burned
 - I got sand all over me, not even my yoga mat could prevent that

All in all as much as I hated it, I enjoyed it if that makes any sense. It's a free yoga class every Saturday morning on the beach I feel like I would be an idiot to not to take advantage of this. I'm definitely going to give it a few more tries and see if I can get into it more because I know it would be good for me.

Next time I'm not wearing stupid yoga clothes though... I'm wearing a freakin bikini and tanning oil. And I'm going swimming after because the water looked so refreshing.

Bring on the Namaste!



No comments:

Post a Comment